Warning: file_put_contents(/home/customer/www/digitalnewsweek.com/public_html/wp-content/uploads/wpo/images/wpo_logo_small.png.webp): Failed to open stream: Disk quota exceeded in /home/customer/www/digitalnewsweek.com/public_html/wp-content/plugins/wp-optimize/vendor/rosell-dk/webp-convert/src/Convert/Converters/Gd.php on line 428
K-State wins Big 12 title 31-28 in OT for ruining TCU’s perfect season

K-State wins Big 12 title 31-28 in OT for ruining TCU’s perfect season

ARLINGTON, TX– Kansas State nearly lost a convincing fourth-quarter lead in Saturday’s Big 12 title game at AT&T Stadium, but in overtime the K-State kicker Ty Zentner kicked K-State for a title from 31 yards.

TCU scored on the first Saturday afternoon, completing a 13-play, 92-yard drive that came nearly seven full minutes behind with a Taye Barber quarterback one-yard touchdown reception Max Dugan.

But K-State responded with back-to-back drives that ended in touchdowns, both on the back of the quarterback Will Howard. The first touchdown was a completion for tight end Ben Sinnott, and it came on a fourth and a play. Howard later kept it on a run play from the one-yard line to give the Wildcats a 14-7 lead.

TCU managed to score a 42-yard field goal in the final minute of the first half to make it 14-10 at the halfway mark.

Coming out of halftime, the K-State defense pulled the TCU offense off the field with a quick three and one out, but controversy ensued due to a questionable fumble/a incomplete pass that could have resulted in a K-State safety. After further review, officials canceled the fumble and field safety call to say it was an incomplete pass.

K-State’s offense responded with a four-play 62-yard drive that ended with Howard’s second touchdown pass of the game to give K-State a 21-10 lead.

TCU was quick to respond, however, when backtracking Kendre Miller rushed for six yards to wrap up a 30-yard touchdown drive with 9:09 left in the third quarter to make it 21-10.

But TCU was only able to gain possession of the K-State 30-yard line due to a missed K-State punt. Philip Brooks. After the missed punt and touchdown for TCU, the Horned Frogs had all the momentum of the game.

However, when Deuce Vaughn broke free for a 44-yard touchdown on K-State’s next possession to give the Wildcats an 11-point lead early in the fourth quarter, it looked like K-State was in control of their chances of winning their first league title in a decade.

Until Duggan starts making one final push at the Heisman Trophy.

Duggan then led the Horned Frogs on two hits scored in the game’s final 7:34. The first trip ended with a Kell Griffin Field goal from 42 yards to make it 28-20.

After a K-State punt, the Wildcat defense returned to the field with an eight-point lead and a chance to win the Big 12 title with one stoppage. But Duggan had an incredible final practice which included a 40-yard run down the touchline and on the next play an eight-yard touchdown run as he gasped for breath with blood streaming down his right elbow because of a nasty gash he suffered earlier in the game. .

Duggan then threw to a wide open Jared Wiley in the end zone for the game-tying 2-point conversion.

K-State’s offense then failed to convert on a third down and long when Howard knocked down slightly Kade Warner on what would have been a first down competition. This forced Zentner on the ground, who downed the punt inside the TCU four. The Frogs then decided to play overtime.

On the Frogs’ first overtime possession, they reached the one-yard line before being stuffed with back-to-back runs down the middle. At fourth down carry with K-State linebacker Miller Daniel Greene and defensive tackle Eli Huggins play the game.

When K-State gained possession, Vaughn opened the drive with nine yards. Vaughn then ran two yards on the next play before getting another run for one yard. On the third and 6, Howard ran into midfield and took a knee to set up Zentner.

From 31 yards, Zentner lives in the K-State tradition – forever.

K-State was bitten by the injury bug earlier this season in their loss to TCU, and on Saturday at Arlington, the Wildcats were hit with a string of injuries again.

Fixed cornerback Ekow Boye Doe was taken out of the game after wide receiver TCU Savion Williams landed on Boye-Doe’s ribs/shoulder in the first quarter of the game. The Wildcat cornerback did not return to the game, which forced the rookie Jacob Parish in action.

In previous weeks, K-State lost securities Wild Kobe and Cincer Mason injuries for the season. Wildcats place freshman VJ Payne in the game to replace the two most experienced safeties.

At wide receiver, Malik Knowles left the game in the first half with a reported leg injury, according to ESPN reporter Holly Rowe. Knowles had an explosive first half before getting injured. He twice rushed for 48 yards and also caught a pass for 40 yards.

Knowles was a second-team All-Big 12 selection this season, but he was replaced by a freshman RJ Garcia who had his first career touchdown reception in the third quarter on a 25-yard pass into the end zone.

Left tackle KT Leveston was taken out of play for a brief period of the game, but later returned in the fourth quarter.

Kansas State is now awaiting its selection for the bowl, but by almost all indications, the Wildcats will play the Sugar Bowl in New Orleans on December 31. The Wildcats’ opponent, however, remains to be seen.

The two most likely opponents for K-State are LSU (9-3, 6-2 SEC) and Alabama (10-2, 6-2). LSU won SEC West this season but suffered losses against State of Florida, Tennessee and Texas A&M. Alabama, has suffered two losses this season, including at Tennessee and to USL.

LSU plays undefeated, No. 1 Georgia in the SEC title game on Saturday afternoon.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *