Patty Jenkins says she ‘never left Wonder Woman 3’
Director Patty Jenkins has released a statement regarding rumors that she left Wonder Woman 3.
Last week, reports released saying that Jenkins, who directed the first two wonder woman films starring Gal Gadot, had walked away from the sequel, after rejecting notes from Warner Bros. Discovery on his treatment.
Jenkins statement, posted Tuesday on Twitterreads: “When there was backlash about World War 3, the appealing false story that it was me who killed it or walked away began to spread. That’s just not true. I never left. I was willing to consider anything I was asked.”
Jenkins acknowledged that major changes underway at Warner Bros. Discovery led to the blocking of the film’s production.
“It was my understanding that there was nothing I could do to advance anything at this time,” Jenkins wrote. “DC is obviously buried in the changes they need to make, so I understand those decisions are tough now.”
Last week, It has been reported that new DC Studio heads James Gunn and Peter Safran had turned down Jenkins and co-writer Geoff Johns’ treatment for Wonder Woman 3. Gunn then took to Twitter say of the report that, “some of it is true, some of it is half true, some of it isn’t true, and some of it we haven’t decided yet whether it’s true or not.”
The Wrap then reported that Gunn and Safran were not responsible for the decision not to move forward with Wonder Woman 3 in its current iteration. Instead, it’s the co-chairmen and CEOs of Warner Bros. Film Group, Michael De Luca and Pamela Abdy, who didn’t think the treatment was working. However, Gunn and Safran reportedly agreed with the assessment.
The report says that in response, Jenkins chose not to present a new treatment and walked away from the project.
Warner Bros. did not immediately respond to a request for comment.
Before the reports Gadot tweeted that she was “grateful to have the opportunity to play such an incredible and iconic character and most of all, I’m grateful to you, the fans. I can’t wait to share her next chapter with you.”
End of October, it was announced that Gunn and Safran would spearhead DC Studios, a reorganized division of Warner Bros. Discovery. The co-presidents and general managers of DC Studios, which replaces DC Films, would meet in the coming weeks to determine the future of Man of Steel 2, Aquaman and The Flash, which is slated for release on June 16.
However, Matt Reeves’ Batman universe, with Robert Pattinson as the Caped Crusader, should remain intact. Reeves is writing a sequel to The Batman and launching two spin-off series, including The Penguin.
Jenkins also touched on his Star Wars Rogue Squadron movie. In September, Disney has abandoned the Rogue Squadron off her schedules, following its scheduled release in December 2023. Still, it’s still in active development, according to Jenkins, and she’s back on the project, having originally left to work on Wonder Woman 3.
“I originally left Rogue Squadron after a long and productive development process when it became clear that it couldn’t happen soon enough and that I didn’t want to delay WWIII any further,” Jenkins wrote.
“When I did, Lucasfilm asked me to consider returning to RS after WW3, which I was honored to do, so I agreed. They made me a new contract. In fact, I’m still on it and this project has been in active development ever since.”
Still, it’s unclear when the movie will likely be released.
“I don’t know if that will happen or not. We never will until the development process is complete, but I look forward to its potential.”
Of Wonder Woman’s future, Jenkins said she hopes it doesn’t “land on a negative note.”
“I wish her and her legacy an incredible future, with or without me.”